Lunge Twist. We include this pose in a lot of our Yoga + Beer classes. Sometimes it feels good to have this pose be strong and active, but sometimes you just want to relax a bit more.
Here are 5 options for this pose that you can take anytime this pose is suggested in class.
1. Come into lunge with your back knee down, and your hand (same hand as front leg) pressing into the front thigh to spin your heart open. Other hand is on the ground (or your pint glass).
2. Same as Option 1, but a little deeper twist. Opposite elbow outside your front leg, create a fist with that hand and press into the fist with your other hand to help find the revolving action in your upper back.
3. Back knee off the ground, lean forward 45 degrees with hands at heart and start to rotate at the waist, bringing opposite elbow toward front leg. Stay here without trying to latch the elbow.
4. Start with Option 3, and then just open your arms.
5. The classic pose. Hands in prayer, opposite elbow outside front thigh, with back knee off the ground and back leg very active.